Introduction to Licensing Toolkit
Synergy/DE Licensing Toolkit consists of the Licensing Toolkit API and the License Key Generator utility:
- The Licensing Toolkit API enables you to build Synergy/DE License Manager protection into your own Synergy and xfNetLink .NET applications. The API, distributed with Core Components, includes both Synergy DBL routines and a C API, syncli_api.dll, which contains three functions that can be called from a C, C++, .NET, or any other application that can call a DLL.
- The License Key Generator utility, available for Windows only, is used to generate configuration keys for your customers so that they may use your application. This utility is sent to you by Synergex upon request, along with a configuration key that must be installed before you can use the utility. At the same time, Synergex will assign a producer code to your company, which you will need when using the Licensing Toolkit API.
This document explains how to use Licensing Toolkit to secure your applications with License Manager. When a Synergy application has been secured with License Manager, the application will not run unless License Manager is installed and configured to recognize it. You can configure an application to allow a maximum number of concurrent users, to secure specific components, and to run for a limited amount of time.
Licensing Toolkit can also be used to implement a reporting routine (see Checking license usage) that can be used to satisfy license usage requirements for xfServerPlus applications, as described in the Synergex Synergy/DE Product License Agreement Terms and Conditions (PLA). See your Synergy/DE account manager for details on the reporting requirements.
- Configuring License Manager has information about License Manager, configuration keys, and Synergy key files.
- Licensing_TK_Examples.zip, available from Synergy CodeExchange in the Resource Center on the Synergex website. In addition to lmkx.exe, an interactive interface to the License Key Generator, this file includes other routines that illustrate the use of Licensing Toolkit. See the readme file included in the download for details.
- LicensingToolkitExample.zip, available from Synergy CodeExchange in the Resource Center on the Synergex website. This file contains examples of how to create license keys, install license keys onto runtime systems, and implement license checking in your applications. It includes both Workbench and Visual Studio projects; the latter demonstrates using the Licensing Toolkit API from a C# application. See the readme file included in the download for details.
If you cannot find the information you need in this manual or in the resources listed above, you can contact Synergy/DE Developer Support department at 800.366.3472 (in the U.S. and Canada), or 916.635.7300 (in all other locations). To learn about your Developer Support options, contact your Synergy/DE account manager at one of the above numbers.