Data in the Synergy Method Catalog is used to create JAR files for use with xfNetLink Java and assemblies for use with xfNetLink .NET. In addition, SMC data is used by xfServerPlus to do the following:
- Allocate adequate memory for data that is passed to and updated by Synergy routines
- Ensure that data from xfNetLink clients is translated into the correct Synergy DBL data types
- Ensure that data returned to the clients is translated into the correct xfNetLink data types
The SMC consists of the files cdt.is? and cmpdt.is?. You cannot change these filenames, but you can create additional SMCs in separate directories if desired. (See Defining multiple Synergy Method Catalogs.)
The SMC files must be located on the machine running xfServerPlus.
A default SMC is installed with xfServerPlus in the DBLDIR directory. It contains methods used by the test programs, as well as entries for XFPL_LOG and XFPL_REGCLEANUP.
Populating the SMC
There are two ways to populate the SMC with data about your routines:
- Load data directly into the SMC from an XML file generated by dbl2xml. The dbl2xml utility reads information about your routines from your Synergy source code and generates an XML file, which you can import into the SMC. See Using attributes to define Synergy methods.
- Use the Method Definition Utility (MDU), which provides a graphical user interface for data entry. See Using the MDU to define Synergy methods.